Have you ever tried translating a foreign language word for word from Google? And did you confirm with someone who knew the language if the translations were actually accurate? If you did, then that person must have had a fit of laughter.
Google translations most of the time go wrong, and we become a laughing stock in front of the people who actually know the language. Here are a few reasons as to why you should never use Google Translate:
- Syntax Issue: The syntax of one language varies from the other. The syntax is what makes a language unique. Google Translate is a machine that uses data which is fed into it. So, when it translates, it will do a word-to-word translation resulting in a jumbled-up sentence. This ends up creating a lot of Google translation mistakes. For instance, a hotel menu showed a term of ‘stir-fried Wikipedia’. The main chef tried Google translation for an item and came up with this. So, a lot of mistakes such as this are prone to happen when one uses Google Translate.
- Idioms and Phrases: There are a lot of memes going around about the Google translations of idioms as well as phrases, and lingos. Idioms and adages are part of a country’s lineage and when spoken in the native language, will sound absolutely perfect. But when Google translates it word by word, it would be nowhere close to the original meaning. A person who knows both the language must look into the idiom, understand it and manually find a substitute or a similar idiom from the other language.
- Lack of Professionalism: At times you may need a paper which is required in legal terms and the words used must not be layman terms or vice-versa. But Google Translate has only one set of translations for one particular word. You will not be able to get synonyms and make adjustments as you require. Thus, Google translate is not very trustable. You will not be able to express the kind of content you need to produce and as such, you will have an output that has no significant importance.
- Detailing and Confirmation: You will not be able to add anything extra from your end or confirm if the output data is exactly as you wanted. Google Translate maybe a simple and cost-free option. But definitely is not the right option if you want a professional and meaningful article. To detail your wants and confirming all the said details, you will have to choose a professional translator who is well aware of both languages.
- Confidentiality: According to the terms and services of Google, any text input on Google automatically belongs to Google. So, if you have confidentiality between you and your client or if you want your document to be confidential, Google Translate should not be used. Violating a confidentiality agreement is a very serious offence. For this reason, you will have to look for an alternate option to get your translation done. And the alternate option is actually the better option. That is hiring a translator.
In case of translations, it is always good to hire someone who has a thorough knowledge of what they are doing instead of relying on a machine such as Google. Although the machine is advanced, it has its own limitations.
Flix Translation Group is your one-stop solution to all your translation projects. Based out of Coral Gables in Miami and Buenos Aires in Argentina, Flix Translations Group has their translator hub across the globe. The company provides linguistic services to medium and big companies in vertical specializations in marketing, technology, life sciences, legal and educational content in more than 50 languages in all their combinations. Why not give them a call today and be part of their successful history?
305 760 4751
miami at flixtranslations.com